Many people have experienced that shaving or waxing is a short-term option to get their skin smooth. But how do you make sure the results last longer? New technologies can help.
Laser removal is a common procedure to take out hair from different areas of the face and body. The process is quite simple and effective, especially since technology doesn’t stand still. Therefore, if you want to get rid of excess body hair ー this is the best option.
In this article we’ll tell you how long a laser hair removal session takes and how protracted the result can last. We’ll also highlight the advantages and disadvantages and other useful tips you should know before the procedure. Let’s get started!
How Does Laser Removal Work?
The procedure of laser removal is to detach the follicle by sending light to it. In turn, rays are delivered in short, intense pulses, causing a heat spike that affects the body hair, removing it from the skin.
It is important to note that for the procedure to work effectively, the follicle must be in an active growth stage because at this time it isn’t yet strongly connected to the hair itself, which makes it easier to perform the removal. The whole difficulty is that it isn’t always in the. This is why the treatment is done multiple times to work through all the follicles.
Pros And Cons Of Laser Hair Removal
Like any procedure, laser removal has its pros and cons that are important to know before the treatment.
- Unlike waxing and shaving, laser therapy helps remove hair for several months or years (depending on the number of removal sessions performed). And if it does appear, it has a completely different structure, not being as thick and dark.
- The procedure can be performed on any part of the body where you would like to get rid of unwanted hair. You can choose legs and arms as well as underarms, breasts, or other areas. Epilation in delicate areas like the bikini has no more side effects than on the legs. They may include only slight redness immediately after the session.
- The procedure doesn’t hurt much. Generally, it depends on your hair type. The pain can be identified as something between shaving and painful waxing. All specialists use an anesthetic gel during the procedure to minimize the client’s discomfort. The intensity of pain may also decrease with each session.
- If you do laser removal with at-home devices, it’s recommended to test the procedure on a small area first and to use a numbing cream or gel to reduce the discomfort (especially if you have sensitive skin). It’s also important to follow the instructions carefully and avoid over-treating the same area to prevent possible irritation or injury.
- The duration of complete hair removal can be several sessions. Usually, about 4–5 sessions may be required, with an interval of 6+ weeks between sessions.
- This is a relatively expensive procedure. Everything will depend on the professionalism of the specialist because the better it is, the more expensive the session cost. The price can go up to $400 per procedure.
- There are several situations in which the procedure shouldn’t be done. These are in the case of pregnancy, skin cancer, diabetes, or other problems with the immune system.
How Long Does Laser Hair Removal Take?
A session doesn’t take long depending on the area chosen, but the duration and frequency of the treatment may vary from one area of the body to another. Let’s define this more specifically.
In this area, removal can last from 30 to 60 minutes, depending on the structure and density of the hair. The frequency of sessions also depends on these factors, but generally, the interval is 5–6 weeks.
Since the areas are small, the procedure can take as little as 10 minutes. Repeated procedures can be carried out for 4 weeks.
In dealing with laser removal, how long the facial will depend on the area where you want to remove the hair.
If you decide to have it completely cleaned, the session can last for 60 minutes, because there is a need for gentle removal. The next procedure is done after 8–10 weeks, since the delicate skin needs more time to recover. And for the reason that the large number of fine hairs, it may take about 12 sessions for complete removal.
Depending on the number of selected areas, the treatment will last about 2–3 hours. The therapy interval is about 6 to 7 weeks. The number of subsequent sessions may vary depending on the characteristics of your hair, but on average about 4–8 treatments.
🧍♀️However, if one area has more active growth and more hair, that location may require more time for complete removal.
Tips Before Laser Hair Removal Procedure
Here are a few more tips that will help you with a good procedure and long-term results:
- Visit a dermatologist. If you aren’t sure if the procedure is right for you and will be safe for you, then he can help you determine this.
- Choose your specialist carefully. To be certain of the quality of the procedure, make sure the professionalism of the master, and the sterility of the office. Be prepared that the higher the qualification, the more expensive the service will cost. But you can also do this procedure yourself, which will take less time and money.
- Preparing for the first session. Approximately 1.5 months before the session, it is better to give up solarium and tanning in the sun and use a protective cream when going outside. Shave the area to be treated 2–3 days before to activate the growing phase of the hair.
- Shaving after the procedure. It is best to avoid this until the hair starts to fall out on its own within 1–2 weeks, otherwise, it will change the effectiveness of the procedure.
Does The Treatment Hurt?
As noted above, the procedure is virtually painless. If you have waxed, then you definitely won’t be in pain.
You may feel varying degrees of pain depending on the specific area. Usually, on delicate areas like the face and bikini, the sensitivity may be higher because of the more gentle skin.
However, if you have a low pain threshold, you can ask the specialist to apply an anesthetic. Although, masters can do this even without asking to make the client feel comfortable.
How is the recovery going?
A big plus is that after the treatment you don’t need to apply special regenerating and soothing products to the skin, and you can safely do everything that you did before.
After the procedure, there may be slight redness due to the effect of the laser on the skin, but this lasts only a few hours after the session.
🙅It is clear that until the blush disappears, it is better not to take the bath, solarium, and hot shower, so as not to injure the skin.
How long will the effect last after the procedure?
You can see the result after the first procedure within two weeks when the hair begins to actively fall out. And only when this process stops, you can go for the next sessions to remove the rest.
After a full course of treatment, the result will last at least several months, and sometimes a couple of years. Everything will depend on the quality of the procedure and the number of sessions. Also, if you go for an additional removal treatment approximately every half year, then you will have smooth skin for many months for sure.
Laser removal is a unique modern procedure that will make you forget about shaving every few days and getting smooth skin for at least a couple of months.
The advantages of the procedure are significant enough to switch to this option of dealing with excess hair on the body. However, be aware of the cons and be prepared to spend several hundred dollars on each procedure. Nevertheless, you can buy the device and do the treatment yourself. Don’t forget about health problems in which the procedure cannot be performed. You can also consult a dermatologist, who can give you permission for treatment.
How long a laser hair removal session is will depend on the zone you choose, the density and structure of the follicle, and the professionalism of the master. So to get the desired result of long removal, it is important to take it seriously and do regular sessions until you get completely smooth skin.
🧍♀️ What areas can I do laser hair removal on?
You can treat any area of the body where you want to remove hair. Often the procedure is performed on the legs, arms, armpits, and bikini.
📆 Does laser therapy help for a long time?
Yes, hair is 80-100% removed after an entire treatment course. The results can also be influenced by the correct rehabilitation.
👍 How do I know if I’m allowed to do hair removal?
If you aren’t pregnant or haven’t sunbathed in the days before the procedure, then you can have the cure. Also note that it should not be done by people with skin diseases, problems with the immune system, or skin cancer. In addition, you can come in for a consultation with a specialist so that they can permit you to have the treatment.